gritchik

Nothing says respect for students like a Nazi salute

Posted in Uncategorized by gritchik on June 12, 2012

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good protest. I have both organized them and demonstrated in others. I’ve even been part of a sit-in, in which we students took over the university President’s office to protest tuition hikes.

I’ve demonstrated in favour of choice. And I’ve taken my children to pro-life rallies to protest against those who wish to take my choice away.

I will continue to fight for our collective Charter right, freedom of peaceful assembly – which is different from “freedom to smash windows with garbage cans.” And I will always speak out when I feel passionately about something.

But this image from the Quebec protests… This makes me sick.

20120612-140534.jpg

7 Responses

1. sassy said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm

They are mocking Bill 78 and police actions – context

• gritchik said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Oh, so it’s an ironic Nazi salute? Bullshit. It is completely offensive. Your explanation of context does nothing to help their cause.

• sassy said, on June 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm

THIS is offensive.

2. John Prince said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Says everything about what the people in Quebec are dealing with, I think. Therefore, it is totally appropriate.

3. Alison S said, on June 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm

The people in Quebec are dealing with a bunch of students who think the world owes them a living. The majority of Quebecers are really fed up with them and their out-of-province cheerleaders. I am all for peaceful and respectful protest but the students brought C78 on themselves by their appalling behaviour. Their expectation that tuition can be frozen for ever is ridiculous. As a student in the early 1960’s, we paid considerably more, adjusting for inflation, than today’s students (they would have to be paying over $3,900/yr) and the availability of bursaries and loans were poor. In addition we had to pay for four years of tuition. Today’s students in Quebec get their first year tuition free. So excuse me if I have no sympathy.

4. John Prince said, on June 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’m sorry Alison, but there is no excuse for buying into the corporatocracy of education, and the resulting future enslavement of societies youth to a life of wage and debt slavery.

5. Robina said, on June 12, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Idiots! All of them! When you protest, know what you’re protesting about and think before you act! I’m with Alison on this one!