gritchik

Andrea Horwath is a disgrace to women in politics

Posted in Uncategorized by gritchik on September 25, 2011

On Wednesday I wrote about how ONDP leader Andrea Horwath is trying to convince Ontarians that the kind of change they want is of the genital variety – forget substance, let’s just vote for the candidate who’ll wear stilettos into the legislature.

Here are her comments from Martin Regg Cohn’s Star column today. And why she is a disgrace to women in politics:

“If people want a real change, then they can look at who’s different from the status quo,” she counters. Walking me through the list, Horwath spices up her press lines with one obvious difference — “The way I would sit in the premier’s chair — with my legs crossed, in a skirt” — then erupts in laughter before catching herself. “Sorry!”

We know you’re a woman, Andrea. Why not show us you’re a THINKING woman?

About these ads

9 Responses

1. ben burd (@cobourgladdie) said, on September 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

no comment needed the best way to comment is to leave it blank and let you look stupid with what you said

• Christian said, on September 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

ben burd. Fail!!

2. Christian said, on September 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

To be fair, I too would prefer to have Andrea over for a barbecue. After all, someone’s gotta clean up and serve beer! :)

But in all seriousness, while she seems to be in the habit of reminding folks that she has a vagina, (of which I am a big fan of, btw) I wouldn’t call it disgraceful. Simply irrelevant.

• Christian said, on September 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Just to clarify, what should be irrelevant, is the fact she is a woman.

3. ASME said, on September 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

If a man had said that sort of thing he would be forgiven since he would have a penis of some kind. This is not an agreement with this woman at all by the way.

4. spurs said, on September 26, 2011 at 12:17 am

Something tells me its less her feminism than her party affiliation that irks you. I’ve heard Wynne, Broten, Mathews foreground the fact they are women, Wynne even as a queer woman and how their gender is relevant to their politics. Funny, you weren’t there to call them a disgrace to women in politics.

Personally, what I like about Andrea is that like you she has grit. I also like that she has run a clean, smear free campaign believing politics needs to be done differently. And as their platform comes together, I think there is substance there.

Sorry, this is the nastiest, most disingenuous campaign I’ve seen the Liberals run. You seem to condone negative campaigning and attack ads as playing with the big boys while I see it as a blight on our democracy.

• sharonapple88 said, on September 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Horwath’s not a disgrace, but a joke about wearing a skirt isn’t the equivalent of Aggelonitis declaring she’s pro-choice or Wynne talking about being told she wouldn’t be elected because she’s gay. The joke Horwath made was less about feminism than about playing on stereotypes in an extremely flippant way. Wearing a skirt? Didn’t anyone tell her about kilts, or about the hot fashion trend of skirts for men.

If she’s trying to point to the fact that she’s a woman… being a woman doesn’t automatically make you different from a male politician, or even make you more open to women’s issues. Margaret Thatcher didn’t put a lot of women into cabinet and froze child benefits. Sarah Palin cut funding to teenage mothers. It’s a stereotype that women politicians are automatically more responsive to women’s issues, or that they’re more kind or compassionate. Instead of pointing to a skirt as something that sets her off from Hudak and McGuinty, maybe she could have talked in depth about the NDP’s maternal program.

Anyway, this is just my two cents on the situation.

5. Joseph Rivett said, on October 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I did leave a comment, but being faciasts (Liberals), you didnt like the truth and being the defenders of free speech, tolerance, and diversity of opinions- YOU WONT POST IT!!!! HOW LIBERAL OF YOU! This is good however,because you prove my case better than any words possibly could.

6. [...] fall campaign, which was pathetic bordering on the absurd. And now she’s doing it again. It’s time to show Ontarians that she’s more than a skirt and high heels. Share this:TwitterEmailFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]